Tim Tszyu will stay in the United States and continue his training camp, although his world title fight with Jermell Charlo has been postponed.
The current super welterweight champion suffered a broken arm during training, putting their January 28 fight on the backburner.
Tszyu flew to Los Angeles earlier in December to begin preparations for the biggest fight of his career, but has now been left desperate and without a fight.
The 28-year-old hasn’t fought since March, and his debut on American soil ended with a unanimous decision win over Terrell Gausha.
On Monday night (AEDT), Tszyu’s manager Glen Jennings posted a statement on social media confirming that the undefeated Aussie will remain in the US while his management looks to secure another fight.
“A quick update on where you’re coming from here, since Charlo was injured from the Jan 28 Undisputed Title. Team Tszyu will continue in the USA camp while Matt Rose and I work to find a new fight for Tim’s to keep busy,” he said. said.
“You all know Tim can’t wait, so we’re exploring all options for a quick fight. Tim is disappointed, but he’s still focused on what comes next.
“He’s a fighter, he wants to fight, so waiting for Charlo to recover is not an option…until then training continues in the USA.
“I’ll do my best to keep you all informed as we get closer to a viable outcome. Tim will be ready for Charlo once he’s cleared from uncontested and Tim will be even more ready bringing home 4 belts.
“Thank you for the amazing support. These things are part of boxing, we recover, regroup and get back to what we do best.”
37 fights don’t have to postpone shit. I will never turn my back on any man. Im King of 154. This is not a mental health issue, this is not a sling you can buy at the pharmacy like Castano did. Imma bounce back & give my fans 2 fights this year. Stay tuned. pic.twitter.com/m6wc8s5p1A
— JERMELL CHARLO (@TwinCharlo) December 26, 2022
It seems that Tszyu will stay in the US and will look for another opponent. pic.twitter.com/jGShcttk7k
— Dan Attias (@Dan_Attias) December 26, 2022
Tszyu may have no shortage of fighters to take a shot at him due to his status and upcoming title fight, with top-ranked contender Tony Harrison calling out the WBO mandatory challenger on social media.
Someone to Tim I will fill charlo so that he will not go to another job for 6 months
— Tony Harrison (@Iamboxing) December 25, 2022
Tszyu has a career record of 21-0, with 15 wins by knockout, and has knocked out many of the biggest names in Australia.