Oregon kidnapping suspect Benjamin Obadiah Foster dead after police standoff, official says


An Oregon man accused of violently abducting a woman and torturing her for days before fleeing into a state forest died of a gunshot wound after hours with police on Tuesday, according to a police spokesman.

Benjamin Obadiah Foster, 36, died at a hospital shortly after he was taken into custody at his residence in Grants Pass, Ore., Lt. Jeff Hattersley of the Grants Pass Police Department told KTVL in Medford, Ore. In a news release earlier Tuesday that Foster was “under arrest.”

Authorities surrounded a home in Grants Pass where they believed Foster lived after he was seen walking a dog Tuesday morning, police posted on Facebook. Officers from four law enforcement agencies were on the scene, and a SWAT team was formed as part of an effort to get Foster to surrender, Hattersley told KTVL. A police spokesman told local media on Tuesday evening that the situation had been “resolved” but did not immediately say Foster was in custody.

Also Read :  Democratic Socialists of America scrambles to defend its role in imposing rail contract

Hattersley did not immediately respond to a request for comment earlier Wednesday.

The situation concluded a week-long investigation that began after police found the woman, whose name has not been released, tied up and severely beaten at her home on January 24 in what the manager of the police described as “a bad act.” Police said they received “credible information” linking Foster to the attack, the Daily Courier reported. The woman remains hospitalized in critical condition, according to police.

A man accused of torturing a woman is still interacting with friends, police say

Foster faced multiple charges since the attack, including attempted murder, kidnapping and assault, according to court records.

Foster was released from prison in Nevada nearly two years ago. He was accused of holding another woman captive for weeks in his Las Vegas apartment in 2019 and was convicted of lesser charges, the Associated Press reported. Although the judge sentenced him to 2.5 years in prison, he spent less than 200 days in federal custody as his 700-plus days in jail awaiting trial were credited. in his judgment.

Also Read :  “I Absolutely Love America” – England Soccer Superstar Admits Being Eligible to Play for USA in the FIFA World Cup

Grants Pass Police Chief Warren Hensman told the AP last week that it is “very troubling” that Foster is not in jail. Hattersley told The Washington Post this week that Grants Pass police were unaware of Foster’s criminal history or the plea agreement.

After police served a search warrant last week at a property in Wolf Creek, Ore., where they thought Foster was hiding, authorities discovered his 2008 Nissan Sentra, and arrested Tina 68-year-old Marie Jones and charged with hindering prosecution. Police said they initially thought Jones was following Foster in another vehicle. After he drove his car over the line, he gave her a ride to the scene, Hattersley said this week.

Police had warned that Foster was active in dating systems to find more victims. Authorities also said he may have altered his appearance by cutting and dyeing his hair. Hattersley said it was “not a coincidence” that Jones and Foster met on a dating app, adding that he lived close to his family and probably had “friends in the community.”

Also Read :  Sam Bankman-Fried May Be Back in the U.S. on Wednesday: Reports

On Tuesday, police posted a blurry photo of him walking a small dog in the area.

“If anyone sees this, please call 9-1-1 immediately,” the department wrote on Facebook.

Hours later, police cornered Foster under the porch of the home, according to CBS News. Authorities fired gunshots and tear gas into the house in an attempt to force him out.

Video from KTVL shows dozens of police officers outside a home in Grants Pass, a city of about 40,000 people in southwestern Oregon. Some residents told the Daily Courier that they had received notices telling them to stay in the area where the police had cordoned off the property.

The police department will share more details about the operation at a press conference on Wednesday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button