Christmas music: 10 fun facts about favorite Christmas songs and carols

Millions of Americans participate in the long tradition of listening to Christmas carols and singing Christmas carols every December – and the numbers prove it.

Fox News Digital took a look at the history of Christmas carols and found 10 surprising things about the number.

Test your knowledge of Christmas carols below.


Christmas carols and carols are played around the world in the month of December.

Christmas carols and carols are played around the world in the month of December.

4th century – The oldest known Christmas carol is “Jesus Illuminates All” – “Jesus Refulsit Omnium” in Latin – composed by St. Hilary of Poitiers in the fourth century, according to a report from Billboard.

The European bishop, born in what is now Poitiers, France, is believed to have composed the “carol” after the first recorded Christmas celebration, Billboard said. The first recorded Christmas celebration dates back to 336 AD, according to, a Christian media organization.


13th century – The Christmas carol appeared in the 13th century with Rome Saint Francis of Assisi who included songs of good intentions in his Christmas works, according to Arcadia Publishing, an American publisher of novels and stories.

49,000+ Christmas songs – As of 2021, music rights management site Blokur estimates that there are more than 49,000 Christmas songs in existence worldwide.

The London-based music technology company has reportedly sifted through tens of millions of songs to find songs that have Christmas in their title or Christmas in reference.

100 million copies sold – Bing Crosby’s 1942 Christmas song “White Christmas” is the best Christmas song, according to Guinness World Records.

The song has sold more than 100 million records worldwide and about 50 million of those sales are singles, the chart leader shows.

‘Happy Day’: What You Don’t Know About Your Christmas Favorite

32% dislike “Santa Baby” – Eartha Kitt’s 1953 classic “Santa Baby” is the most disliked Christmas song in the US, according to a poll conducted by YouGov America Inc, a multinational market research and data analysis company, whose office mainly in the UK.

One thousand American adults were surveyed in 2021 and nearly a third (32%) said they did not like “Santa Baby.” On the other hand, 68% say they like music.

Also Read :  Prop. 28 Poised to Pass With Entertainment Industry Backing

1.2 billion streams – Mariah Carey’s 1994 hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You” is the top Christmas song on Spotify – a popular audio streaming service that has a user base of 456 million.

At the time of publication, the song has been streamed more than 1.23 billion times, according to Spotify data.

Click here to download the FOX NEWS program

10,000+ streams per minute – Billboard Pro, a music news site for industry professionals, reported in 2019 that an Amazon Music representative said the streaming service received more than 10,000 stream requests per minute on average. in December.

Requests are presented through the Amazon Alexa virtual assistant. If these numbers are correct, that would equate to 446.4 million requests for Christmas music. There were 44,640 minutes in December, according to, an online time calculator.

9 hours – The world’s longest Christmas carol is believed to be “The 179 Days of Christmas,” a song composed by Joren Cull and AJ Ing.

In 2018, two Toronto musicians created and released an extended version of Frederic Austin’s Christmas carol, “The Twelve Days of Christmas” (circa 1780). The extended music is nine hours long (eight hours and 56 minutes).


Also Read :  Grant Wahl's brother says he 'agreed to a divorce from the love of my life' hours before journalist died

“The Twelve Days of Christmas” like 364 gifts – Speaking of “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” at the end of the song, the singers name 364 gifts while adding up the gifts listed from the 12 days.

– 12 directions of a partridge in a pear tree

– 11 directions for two turtles

– 10 references to three French chickens

– 9 references to the four calling birds

– 8 pointers to five golden rings

– 7 references to six geese laying eggs

– 6 directions to seven swimming pools

– 5 references to eight milkmen

– 4 references to nine female dancers

– 3 references to 10 flying masters

– 2 directions to 11 pipes

– 1 pointer to 12 boxes

Click here to register

13% like “Silent Night” – Joseph Mohr’s 1816 carol “Silent Night” has been revealed as the most popular Christmas carol in the US, according to a poll conducted by YouGov America Inc.

The market research firm surveyed 1,200 American adults in 2020 and 13% said “Silent Night” was their favorite Christmas song. The classic Christian song was recorded with Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button